Poinews
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

At least 10 people in intensive care and thousands flee intense wildfire in Croatia

Published August 15, 2026 · Updated August 15, 2026 · By Sandra Jones - poinews.com

Foto : Sandra Jones - poinews.com

Wildfire Crisis in Croatia: At Least 10 People in Intensive Care as Thousands Evacuate

Poinews.com – A devastating wildfire on Croatia's Adriatic coast has left at least 10 people in intensive care and dozens more injured after emergency crews fought through the night against what officials are calling "one of the worst" blazes in the nation's history. The intense fire, which began spreading rapidly through the hills near Omiš, forced approximately 2,000 residents and tourists to flee their homes in the early hours of Friday morning. As roads reopened by mid-morning, the AFP news agency documented the devastating aftermath, revealing blackened remains of several burnt-out vehicles along coastal routes, some surrounded by silver puddles of metal that had melted under the extreme heat.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Efforts

The scale of the emergency became clear as hospital officials reported that 40 people had been admitted to Split hospital, including both German and Polish tourists among the injured. Nearly 300 firefighters were deployed overnight to combat the rapidly advancing flames, though fire chief Slavko Tucaković noted they were frequently outpaced by the blaze. "It was frightening even to watch," Tucaković told national radio, describing how many houses, cafes, restaurants, cars, and boats that were on dry land suffered damage during the intense firestorm.

Prime Minister Andrej Plenković visited the affected area to assess the situation firsthand. "This fire spread at lightning speed," he told reporters, adding that "what the firefighters managed to save is truly a miracle." The region, which Plenković described as "very densely populated," is home to a township of 15,000 residents but currently hosts an additional 12,000 tourists, making the evacuation particularly challenging. Ana Stejskal, the Red Cross director in Omiš, confirmed that hundreds of tourists were among those evacuated to a shelter set up by the humanitarian organization.

Regional Impact and Ongoing Threats

Several other shelters have been opened in nearby coastal towns of Split and Makarska, according to the Croatian Fire and Rescue Service. "People have a bed, a shower, a toilet and food, but it's difficult to predict how long this situation will last," said Tomislav Gojo, director of the Red Cross in Split. After four Canadair water bombers were deployed at dawn, authorities reported that conditions had stabilized somewhat in the Omiš area.

However, the firefighting aircraft had already been redirected to another blaze on the Pelješac Peninsula, approximately 70 kilometres south, where homes remained under threat. The crisis extends beyond Croatia's borders, as blazes were also burning in other parts of the Balkans while a severe heatwave brings soaring temperatures and worsens drought conditions across the region. Emergency crews in Montenegro have been battling fires along the coast for several days, while fires were reported near Albania's capital on Thursday.

Temperature records, already broken multiple times this summer, were again surpassed earlier this week when nearby Split, located about 30 kilometres north of Omiš, reached an astonishing 39.7°C. The combination of extreme heat, dry conditions, and strong winds has created a perfect storm for wildfire activity throughout the Balkan region.

What Travelers Should Know

For those planning to visit Croatia's coastal regions, authorities recommend staying informed about local fire conditions and evacuation routes. The Red Cross has established multiple shelters in the affected areas, and visitors are advised to follow official guidance if traveling through Omiš, Split, or Makarska during the summer months. Emergency services continue to monitor the situation closely as weather conditions determine whether additional firefighting resources will be needed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How many people have been evacuated from the wildfire area? A: Approximately 2,000 people have been evacuated from nearby villages as the fire spread through the surrounding hills.

Q: Where are the evacuation shelters located? A: Shelters have been established in Omiš, Split, and Makarska, with accommodations including beds, showers, toilets, and food.

Q: What is the current condition of the injured? A: At least 10 people remain in intensive care, with 40 total admissions to Split hospital including international tourists.

Q: Are other regions affected by wildfires? A: Yes, fires are also burning on the Pelješac Peninsula, in Montenegro along the coast, and near Albania's capital.

Related Reading