Deceased Cambridge academic Jason Arday’s family decries ‘campaign of harassment’ against him
Jason Arday Family Denounces Harassment Campaign
Poinews.com – The family of deceased Cambridge academic Jason Arday has issued a formal statement accusing colleagues and commentators of years of sustained mistreatment that they say contributed to his death. Arday, the British sociologist appointed in 2023 as Cambridge's youngest black professor at age 37, was found lifeless at a South London residence on Friday evening amid an intensifying plagiarism dispute over portions of his doctoral thesis. Relatives described what they called a campaign of harassment stretching back more than three years — beginning, they said, the moment he accepted his chair.
Political Reaction and Call for Restraint
Prime Minister Andy Burnham addressed journalists on Saturday, describing the situation as "a tragedy on so many levels, but particularly just for everybody who knew Jason, his family obviously, his friends." He urged the public to exercise restraint, warning against "any rushing to judgement" and calling instead for a period of quiet contemplation over how events had escalated to this point.
The university confirmed that an internal investigation into multiple accusations against Arday was launched just before he stepped down from his position last week. His high-profile appointment had drawn widespread attention, yet that visibility quickly gave way to escalating allegations. Questions surfaced not only about his thesis but also about personal accomplishments he had publicised, including completing 30 marathons within a 35-day span and fundraising millions of pounds for charitable causes.
Media Scrutiny and Personal Context
British right-wing press and commentators seized on the claims, framing Arday as an unfair beneficiary of diversity, equality and inclusion initiatives. Investigative pieces examining his scholarly output and private life appeared in The Times, The Guardian, and The Telegraph over successive weeks.
In their posthumous remarks, relatives stated that "the campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason, who was a gentle man and who always wanted to see the best in everyone." Arday had spoken publicly about living with autism, explaining that he was non-verbal until age 11 and did not learn to read or write until 18 before ultimately reaching the Cambridge faculty.
In an interview with The Times earlier this month, he acknowledged making academic "mistakes" but insisted he was being wrongly "portrayed to be a liar and a fantasist and an academic fraud." He attributed some inaccuracies in his early work to his autism, explaining that he had relied on mimicry as a means of processing information.
Final Hours
Simon Baron-Cohen, a Cambridge professor who directs the Autism Research Centre, told BBC radio that he had spoken with Arday by phone on Friday morning. Recalling the conversation, Baron-Cohen said: "He was being subjected to relentless scrutiny, including ridicule, discrediting absolutely every detail of his life." Arday told him he could not manage the collapse of his career and reputation and felt unable to continue. "He used those words in voice notes," Baron-Cohen added.
Frequently Asked Questions
What position did Jason Arday hold at Cambridge?
He was appointed professor of sociology in 2023, making him the university's youngest black professor at the time. He stepped down from the role last week as the investigation into allegations against him began.
What did the family say caused his distress?
Relatives described a multi-year campaign of harassment and misinformation that they said was directed at him from the moment he took up his chair. They characterised him as a gentle man who wanted to see the best in everyone.
What did Prime Minister Burnham say?
Burnham called the situation a tragedy on many levels, urged restraint against rushing to judgement, and asked the public for a period of contemplation over how events had reached this point.