Morocco prevents hundreds of migrants from crossing into Spain’s Ceuta
Rabat Deploys Forces to Block New Ceuta Crossing Attempt
Poinews.com – In the weeks following one of the deadliest border incidents ever recorded between Morocco and Spain, authorities in Rabat have mounted a sweeping security operation designed to stop another mass push toward the Spanish enclave of Ceuta. The latest action came on Saturday, when Moroccan security forces intercepted hundreds of migrants attempting to reach the territory.
The July Tragedy That Set the Stage
The current standoff traces back to 30 and 31 July, when tens of thousands of people surged across the border on foot and by swimming into Ceuta. Humanitarian organisations have confirmed at least 141 fatalities from that episode — among the highest death tolls ever documented along the Morocco–Spain frontier. Just two weeks later, roughly 72,000 predominantly Moroccan men made another mass crossing; the overwhelming majority have since been sent back across the border.
Saturday's Interception
On Saturday, officials announced that a group — composed largely of sub-Saharan Africans — had been concealed on the outskirts of Fnideq, called Castillejos in Spanish. Moroccan media reported that 294 individuals were detained: 46 Moroccans and the remainder from sub-Saharan Africa. Security sources quoted by the EFE news agency placed the incident in a mountainous stretch to the south-west of Ceuta, where officers moved in to break up the gathering. As of reporting time, those migrants were still held in the vicinity, with no renewed push toward the border fence.
A Voice from the Crowd
Chams Edine Yakoub, a 25-year-old Sudanese national who had been hoping to make the crossing, spoke to AFP about his motivations.
"In Ceuta, in Europe, people are better cared for," he said. "There's no work here. There's no money. There's no housing. There is absolutely nothing, I swear."
Layered Security Around the Border
Fnideq's town centre greeted Saturday morning in relative calm, though a conspicuous police presence marked every street. Authorities confirmed that checkpoints remain active along the principal roads feeding into the town, especially those arriving from Tetouan and Tangier. In the small hours, surveillance intensified both on land and at sea around the Ceuta frontier, with fast vessels of the Moroccan Royal Navy and surveillance drones deployed in tandem.
The operation nonetheless did not catch everyone. A 17-year-old woman slipped through during the night and reached Castillejos. She told EFE that her bus from Tetouan had been halted at three separate checkpoints along the roughly 35-kilometre stretch separating the two towns — a detail that underscores just how thoroughly Morocco is screening traffic in the zone.
A Broader Deployment
Saturday's action sits within a wider Rabat-organised deployment aimed at forestalling another mass crossing. The impetus came from a social-media call urging people to attempt the border again, issued only weeks after the July deaths. Moroccan authorities appear determined that no repeat of that catastrophe will be permitted.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Morocco prevents hundreds of migrants?Morocco prevents hundreds of migrants is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Morocco prevents hundreds of migrants matter?Morocco prevents hundreds of migrants matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.