My Europe

At least 10 killed in Russian strike in northeast Ukraine’s Kharkiv region, governor says

At least 10 killed in Russian rocket bombardment of the village of Pechenigy, located roughly 40 kilometres from the border in northeastern Ukraine's Kharkiv

Desk My Europe
Published August 18, 2026
Reading time 4 minutes
Conversation No comments
1200x675_cmsv2_728e86f8-e297-5459-a8b3-09280b1baf3f-9878420
Foto : Susan Davis - poinews.com
Table of Contents
  1. At Least 10 Killed in Russian Strike on Kharkiv
  2. Related Reading

At Least 10 Killed in Russian Strike on Kharkiv

Poinews.com – At least 10 killed in Russian rocket bombardment of the village of Pechenigy, located roughly 40 kilometres from the border in northeastern Ukraine’s Kharkiv region, according to Governor Oleg Synegubov, who shared the toll on social media Tuesday. Eight more residents were wounded, and private homes alongside local shops sustained structural damage, the governor reported.

“According to preliminary information, 10 people were killed,” Synegubov wrote, confirming the village’s proximity to the contested frontier.

Widening Long-Range Bombardment

The attack arrives at a moment when civilian death tolls across the four-and-a-half-year war are climbing sharply. With front-line manoeuvre largely frozen and diplomatic talks stalled, both militaries have ramped up long-distance strikes, pushing weekly civilian casualties toward levels last recorded during the invasion’s opening weeks in early 2022.

Kharkiv oblast, parts of which remain under Russian military occupation, has absorbed sustained bombardment since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022. The Pechenigy strike came one day after Ukraine’s state energy operator Naftogaz Group revealed that its installations had been hit thirteen times in a single week, bringing the cumulative tally of attacks since January to nearly 300.

Naftogaz said Russian missiles and drones struck facilities across multiple oblasts, with one particular asset hit repeatedly during that period. Serious damage to production equipment and capacity was confirmed, though the company noted no employees were injured. Separately, DTEK Group — which describes itself as the largest private investor in Ukraine’s energy sector and operates coal mines alongside power generation — announced that a Russian strike ignited a fire at one of its mining sites, killing a 52-year-old worker.

Moscow Region Absorbs Record Drone Barrage

In a parallel escalation, Russian officials reported Tuesday that 620 drones had been launched toward the Moscow region overnight. Several residents were wounded and multiple buildings were struck, they said.

“Tonight and in the morning, air-defence and electronic-warfare forces were repelling a large-scale drone attack on Moscow region,” Governor Andrey Vorobyov wrote on Telegram, adding that the “most serious consequences” were recorded in Pavlovsky Posad district, where a residential house was reduced to ashes.

Moscow has repeatedly hammered Ukraine’s electricity grid, seeking to erode civilian morale by cutting off light, heating, and running water during the harshest months. Ukrainian authorities, who accuse Russia of “weaponising winter,” warn the campaign will continue through the coming cold season. Along the roughly 1,250-kilometre front line, troops on both sides are increasingly pinned down by drones and robotic systems, prompting each nation to broaden aerial operations and develop new long-range strike capabilities.

Kyiv, which relied heavily on foreign military aid following the February 2022 invasion, has steadily expanded its domestically produced arsenal. On Sunday it launched a salvo of more than 800 long-range drones toward Russia. Ukrainian forces have also struck depots belonging to Wildberries, Russia’s dominant online retailer, at distances reaching 2,000 kilometres from the border.

Russian forces have grown increasingly focused on urban targets — apartment buildings, ports, schools, and hospitals — killing close to 17,000 civilians per United Nations tallies. Last week the UN reported that 437 Ukrainian civilians were killed in July alone, a figure 70 percent above the same month in 2025. Moscow has exploited Ukraine’s acute shortage of US-made Patriot air-defence interceptors, the sole system capable of countering ballistic missiles, while Kyiv accelerates its own innovation programme, including a domestic ballistic missile and collaboration with European partners.

With Moscow now within regular reach of Ukrainian drones, organisers cancelled the Spasskaya Tower International Military Music Festival, a major event scheduled for central Moscow’s Red Square beginning Friday. The festival was postponed until next year, its organisers stated on social media Monday, citing reasons beyond their control.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many people were at least 10 killed in Russian strike on Pechenigy? Governor Synegubov confirmed ten fatalities and eight injuries from the rocket attack on the village, which sits approximately 40 kilometres from the Russian border in Kharkiv region.

What happened to Moscow’s energy infrastructure this week? Naftogaz Group reported thirteen separate strikes on its installations within one week, bringing the cumulative count since January to nearly 300. DTEK Group confirmed one worker killed in a fire at a coal-mining site.

How large was the drone attack on the Moscow region? Russian authorities said 620 drones were launched overnight toward Moscow region, wounding several residents and damaging multiple buildings, with the worst damage in Pavlovsky Posad district.

What is the current civilian toll? United Nations tallies place the total near 17,000 Ukrainian civilians killed since February 2022. July alone saw 437 civilian deaths, up 70 percent year-on-year.

Leave a Comment