Migrant charity SOS Méditerranée says 11 bodies spotted in sea off Libya’s coast
Migrant charity SOS Méditerranée says 11 bodies were discovered floating in the Mediterranean Sea off Libya's coast on Friday, marking another tragic chapter
Table of Contents
Migrant charity SOS Méditerranée says 11 bodies found in Mediterranean
Poinews.com – Migrant charity SOS Méditerranée says 11 bodies were discovered floating in the Mediterranean Sea off Libya’s coast on Friday, marking another tragic chapter in the ongoing migration crisis. The non-governmental organization’s monitoring plane, operated in collaboration with the Humanitarian Pilots Initiative, spotted the decomposing remains in waters belonging to Libya’s search and rescue zone. In a statement describing the discovery as a “harrowing scene,” SOS Méditerranée noted that some of the bodies still wore clothing while others remained afloat thanks to tire inner tubes. The organization emphasized that the bodies were “in an advanced state of decomposition,” suggesting they had been in the water for several days.
The Italian coast guard confirmed it had been immediately notified of the discovery and subsequently informed Libyan authorities. According to official reports, the bodies were located approximately 57 nautical miles (105 kilometres) from the Libyan coastal city of Zuwarah. This location places the discovery squarely within the busy migration corridor that connects North Africa to European shores, a route that has claimed thousands of lives over the past decade.
Context of Rising Deaths Despite Fewer Arrivals
Every year, tens of thousands of migrants attempt the perilous sea crossing from North Africa to southern European Union member states. The International Organisation for Migration reported this week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as overall migrant numbers have declined due to harsher European policies. According to IOM data, 821 people died or went missing in the first four months of 2026 alone, representing a staggering 111% increase compared to the same period in 2025.
“This sighting is a stark reminder of the human consequences of Europe’s deadly policies of indifference and deterrence-at-all-costs,” the organisation said in a statement following the discovery.
More than half of the deaths recorded during this period were caused by severe weather conditions in January. Despite these tragic losses, migrant arrivals on that route fell by 46% to 8,577 over the same period. The EU border agency Frontex reported that the total number of irregular border crossings into the European Union fell by 26% in 2025 from the previous year, reaching almost 178,000 crossings. This paradox of fewer arrivals but more deaths highlights how migrants are increasingly forced onto more dangerous routes and vessels.
Looking Ahead: What This Means for Migration Policy
The recent discovery by Migrant charity SOS Méditerranée says 11 bodies underscores the urgent need for comprehensive migration reform. As European nations continue implementing stricter border controls, many migrants are choosing riskier pathways or remaining in transit countries for extended periods. Humanitarian organizations warn that without adequate search and rescue operations and safe passage options, the death toll is likely to continue rising even as overall migration numbers stabilize or decline.
SOS Méditerranée has long been at the forefront of Mediterranean rescue operations, conducting hundreds of missions since its establishment. The organization’s monitoring plane, which spotted the 11 bodies this week, represents one of the few remaining aerial surveillance capabilities in the region. As debates over European migration policy intensify, the charity continues to advocate for policies that prioritize human life over border enforcement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where exactly were the 11 bodies discovered? The bodies were found approximately 57 nautical miles (105 kilometres) from Zuwarah, a coastal city in Libya, within Libya’s designated search and rescue zone in the Mediterranean Sea.
How many migrant deaths have been recorded in 2026 so far? According to the International Organisation for Migration, 821 people died or went missing in the central Mediterranean during the first four months of 2026, representing an 111% increase from 2025.
Why are deaths increasing while arrivals are decreasing? Harsher European policies have forced migrants onto more dangerous routes and vessels, resulting in fewer overall arrivals but a higher mortality rate among those attempting the crossing.
What organization operated the plane that spotted the bodies? The monitoring plane was operated jointly by SOS Méditerranée and the Humanitarian Pilots Initiative, two organizations dedicated to migrant rescue and humanitarian assistance in the Mediterranean.
